Thursday, July 24, 2014

Playing Catch Up..

It has been roughly two months since I last posted here. A lot has happened since then. I saw my family more in the past two months than I probably have in the last 7-ish years and am forever thankful to have them in my life. I started summer school and have two weeks left to go. I went to Yosemite on the 4th of July weekend. And I got engaged.

School has kept me busiest of all and I love it. On Mondays and Wednesdays I am up at 4am and don't get to bed until 11pm, yet I somehow come home more energized than when I left. I started off a little rough in my writing, as I haven't given grammar or the MLA style much thought in the past 10 years. Slowly, my writing has improved. I still have a long way to go but I can already see the difference in my essays. I am lucky to have a very enthusiastic teacher. He is very encouraging with all of us and constantly keeps the conversation flowing, keeping us absorbed in English class.

About a week ago, he asked me what my major was and we talked for a bit. He asked if I happen to be an English major and I answered undecidedly. I do love English but I have been so lost in the past few years, in regards to a future career. Photography awakened my ambition. Before that photography class last semester, I was okay with idly letting time slip by as I did nothing to further my education or career. It helped propel me forward. It allowed me to dream of a much more fulfilled future and now I see myself struggling to decide which way to go. Can I do both? Do I pick English and keep photography as a hobby? I did always secretly dream of writing a novel but it never felt tangible, so I just tucked my dream away. Whatever I may choose, I will continue to nurture both.

No comments:

Post a Comment