Friday, September 4, 2015

September

So...it's been a few months. Since I've last written on here, I got married, enjoyed a quick weekend honeymoon at vegan beerfest with my husband, finished a semester in school, enjoyed having the summer off, and accomplished a few home improvement projects.

For reasons I don't wish to get into, I will be taking a semester off before going back to school in the spring. That means that I am now left with 5 months of unscheduled time. I do plan on getting a job in the meantime.  What I have to come to the realization of, during my summer off, is that I do not do well with idleness. The days go by in a blur. I laughed one afternoon when I couldn't remember what day it was. I felt like Violet Crawley in Downton Abbey, as all my days felt like weekends.

Here I am now, determined to change that. I have heard other bloggers, you tubers, telecommuters, mention that it can be quite the struggle to work from home. Oftentimes they recommend getting dressed in the morning as if you are going in to the office because it can be a slippery slope staying in your pajamas all day. I now see their point. They recommend you set aside specific times of the day when you will be in work mode, when you will take breaks, go to lunch, and end your work day. They set a schedule and try to stick with it.

It might seem odd to start this schedule on a Friday but I fear that if I wait until Monday, the momentum will be gone. This morning I got up early. I heated up some breakfast and made some coffee. It felt like a good way to start the day.

I picked up a dry erase calendar, which I haven't been using, and have now marked it off to remind myself to write and photograph daily. It is where I will check off the task as I complete it.

I get down on myself for not being great. I get frustrated when I feel like my writing isn't up to par or when I can't get a photograph just the way I pictured it in my head. But I know I cannot possibly get better if I do not keep practicing.

For now, my goal will be to write daily. I will keep track of it here. I will also take at least one photograph with my camera, not my phone. The photos I probably won't post on here but this felt like the right space for my daily writing.

Entry #1: completed.
Now off I go to work on the photograph...

No comments:

Post a Comment